Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The ONE.

What's the one book you've read that will always stay with you?

For me it was "Daughter To Diana" by Allene Corliss. It was old and leather bound. And full of romantic drama. 

When I was younger my parent's (and later my mother) had a bookshelf of old classic books. There were volume's of stories and then collections of Sherlock Holmes adventures. Amiss all the titles stood Daughter To Diana. When I was about 15 or so I thumbed though all the books trying to find something to read until I got my next book. On that search I found it. 

It had a blue leather cover, yellowed pages, and that old book smell that all book lovers know. 

The story is about a mother, a young mother, who's mostly self absorbed. She tends to dismiss the feelings of her daughter and plots to not let her daughter outshine her. The story takes a few twists and turns and plays out over a nice timeline, not just over a week.

This story was written in 1935 although you wouldn't know because the story is so well written that it could've very well been written by one of today's best historical writers. The age of the book is what gives it it's greatness though. That you're holding a literary masterpiece in your hands that was written long ago and it's survived in whole to feed your imagination. There's no greater gift than finding a book that's lived it's lifetime and survived, it's like finding your own buried treasure. 

So what's the one book you've found that's been your buried treasure and stuck with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment