Saturday, May 14, 2011

Guilty Pleasures.

What's the one thing that fascinates you the most? For me it's a tie, although the two do cross paths often.

Cults and Polygamists.

From Jim Jones and the People's Temple to Warren Jeffs and the FDLS in Utah and Texas, I'm utterly fascinated.

What makes a person search so hard for faith and truth that they'd give their all to a deranged mastermind?

These people lead children from parents, wives from husbands, and mother's from their children. Those relationships are some of the strongest human bonds. How are they so easily broken by a basic delusional stranger?

I myself would rather search for the truth myself than to take someone else's word for it. Even the bible has many interpretations, no one's is the same as another's. I have a few books on my bookshelf that pertain to both elements but neither answers the one big question "Why?". What on earth would make you want to follow someone into the poisonous end of the swimming pool? Especially given some of the things these people are preaching? Are you willing to follow Osama to 72 virgins too? It's one in the same. A crazy person trying to tell you he knows the way to salvation. All you have to do is hang onto every word and live your life according to that person. And majority of the time said leader is high on something. The only ones I haven't heard of partaking in narcotics are the FDLS, but they exercise their demons in other ways. It truly does fascinate me that so many people have followed these false prophets to their demise, or in the case of the FDLS isolation from the outside world and live prehistorically.

I could go on and on, but this should give you a taste of my captivation for these semi taboo subjects.

So you now know what bewitches me, what's your guilty pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment