Friday, September 23, 2011

I see your face, but who are you?

^ Seems like a catchy blog title for a romance about people who can easily shift their appearance, doesn't it?

It's not always about what you can see, it's about what you can't see. When I read Poisoned Kisses by Stephanie Draven that's exactly what came to mind.

(Image from Goodreads)


The book is a story about a nymph, as in mythological nymph, and the hydra she's destined to conquer. Nymph's had a tragic history therefore Kyra has her heart locked up tighter than Fort Knox. Marco on the other hand has seen some of the worlds horrors and has become as hard as stone. Their first encounter ends with Kyra trying to take Marco's life and accidentally being poisoned by his blood in the process. From there their romance isn't any easier as they both fight their inner demons............andddd a couple of war gods. One of which being Kyra's father Ares. (Just hearing the name Ares always makes me think of Kevin Smith's character on Xena.) It all comes down to Marco having to completely having faith in Kyra, and her having faith in herself and the power of their love, in order for them to have a future.


This book was not an all-nighter for me. Nor was it an everyday read. I picked it up a couple of times a week, read as much as I could and then left it for a day or two. Now don't think that I didn't like the story, because I did. I think it had more to do with the amount of violence and the real world problems that exist in Rwanda and other war torn countries. When we read romances we're hoping to escape from everything real world related, even if just in our minds, and if if just for a fraction of time. I loved the tie in's of mythology and how the Gods and Goddess' powers would've transform over the years to current times. All in all I liked this book and the short story that happened to be included in the back.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely agree about romance being an ESCAPE! I think that's part of why I love YA...it deals with people who are at time in their lives when 'real world' problems are there, but there's still so much time to enjoy and have fun, fall in love and rely on someone else to worry about food, clothes, shelter...great review! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete