Friday, September 9, 2011

Double the pleasure, double the fun!

I got a Kindle this week! 

You might have heard my shriek wherever you are. It was heard around the world I'm sure. I had been fighting the e-book evolution, hard. Truly a non-believer. Here recently though I've noticed a lot more self published works and said works only in e-book format. I live in the boonies and my internet has a limit so continually downloading books to Kindle for PC wasn't really an option. Plus who wants to have to lug around a seven pound PC everywhere just to be able to read a book? So the time had come. I cracked. I checked out my options and it just so happened that one of our bills came in lower this month. Just enough to buy myself a Kindle. I ordered it Monday. It was here Thursday. I've read a book and a half so far. Which leads me to my, "OMG THAT WAS AN AWESOME BOOK!", moment.

My first book to load to my Kindle was "Breeding Stock" by Melissa Harlow. 

(Image from Goodreads)

Let me start with the fact this book isn't for the prudish or faint of heart. It's unique and cutting edge with it's story. For me though, I thought it was fresh and it completely consumed me from page one. If you've ever seen the movie "The Crazies" (and if you haven't you should), this to me is the erotic side to that movie. It's also completely feasible for this story to take place in the future. 

'Drea loves Jackson. Jackson as male as he is, of course only realizes this too late. Even further behind that discovery is the realization that he loves her too. She leaves home to do something other than farming and to forget about Jackson. Until the virus hits. Humans and animals alike start dying off by the droves. The country is in chaos. 'Drea hopes she can go home and find Jackson still alive untouched by the virus that has left the world in shambles. Jackson meanwhile, has started a colony where the men inside take    
turns trying to impregnate the women in order to repopulate. The 
colony runs smoothly until Jackson's second in command Bennett brings in 'Drea. The women are to be shared and after seeing the way 'Drea responds to Bennett, Jackson doesn't mind sharing her with his co-founder. The other men however, he wants to keep her from, which goes against all the rules and principles he's set at the colony. It all comes down to Jackson and Bennett realizing they have to leave the colony in order to keep 'Drea theirs, and only theirs. 

I was truly captivated by this book. I started reading it midnight Thursday night and finished it  at 2 in the afternoon Friday. I've been raving to whomever I know will listen about how much I loved this book. Some of Melissa Harlow's other books are even more intriguing and I'm excited to see if they hold my attention as tightly as this one did. 

2 comments:

  1. I got your blog link through Goodreads after reading and commenting on the review that you left there I clicked through. I'm so glad I did, you really made my day. Good reviews rock, but getting one on a book as tricky as this one was fantastic! What strikes me about your review is that you just "got" the book. What I tried to put into words was exactly what you took from it, and when that happens it's always great for a writer.
    Thank you so much!!
    Melissa Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! It made my day to hear that you loved my review!

    ReplyDelete